Pozar – Edessa
An idyllic day trip combining total relaxation in nature
We combine the relaxation in Pozar, with the city of Edessa where the biggest waterfalls in Balkans are located, verifying its first name as the “city of waters”. The water falls from 70m high, producing magical vapor clouds! Don’t miss this absolute experience!
- Pozar hot springs
- Varosi Traditional District
- Sesame Mill of Flavors
STARTING POINTS AND DEPARTURE TIME
- Starting point: WHITE TOWER(Entrance) 08:00
- Stop 1: MAKEDONIA PALACE HOTEL 08:05
- Stop 2: ARISTOTELOUS square & EGNATIA (Venizelos Statue) 08:15
- Stop 3: CAPSIS Hotel 08:20
- Stop 4: THE MET Hotel 08:25
AVERAGE EXCURSION DURATION
- 8 hours (3 hours on the road)
We depart to Pozar thermal springs with the bus of Ammon Express along with our friendly trip attendant-archaeologist,
at 08:00 from the White Tower,
at 08:05 from the hotel Makedonia Palace,
at 08:15 from Aristotelous Square & Egnatia Street (at the statue of Venizelos),
at 08:20 from hotel Capsis and
at 08:25 from The Met Hotel
The distance is 110km and lasts about 1 hour and a half.
The distance is 110km and lasts approximately 1½ hours. One explanation regarding the meaning of the name “Pozar” is “after the charcoal” while another one is “under the fire”, which forms an evidence that in the past the village was located in a different place that was burnt or set on fire and the villagers gave the name “Pozar” to their new village.
We reach the enchanting Pozar hot springs, the spa into nature. The healing water infiltrates the ground and after going quite deep is heated up and goes back to the surface enriched with minerals and trace elements.
Admire the beautiful gorge located in the majestic mountain where the river “Toplitsa” (in slavic language is defined as “the hot river”) flows through it forming small cascades and shallow shores. Nowadays is mostly known as the river of Saint Nicolas.
Enjoy the free time in Pozar in order to feel the qualities of the healing water relaxing in the natural pools of the hot springs. Combine it with a coffee break in the organized area. Don’t forget to bring your swimwear and a towel/bathrobe!
There we have also the chance to spoil ourselves with traditional viands of local producers (honey, spoon sweets etc.) from the local market in the main square of the area. Later on we continue our trip to Edessa.
The name Edessa means “a tower into the water” because of the intense presence of the liquid element in the city since the antiquity. We have free time to admire the impetuous waterfalls and capture the enchanting scenery; where the park of the cascades meets the edge of the rock, also known as the “eyebrow” of the city, is located, according to the famous greek author Menelaos Lountemis, “the step where God steps on to go up the sky”. The water comes from the springs of the mountain Kaimaktsalan (Voras) supplied constantly by the snowmelt of the mountain.
We may follow our trip attendant-archaeologist for a walking tour to the traditional district of Varosi and visit the Water Museum or Sesame Mill of Flavors for an unforgettable experience or enjoy a nice meal in one of the traditional restaurants of the area.
We depart to Thessaloniki at around 15:00p.m and we are back approximately after 1½ hours (16:30pm), making the same stops where we started from.
THE PRICE OF THE EXCURSION INCLUDES:
- Round-trip transportation to Pozar Hot Springs and Edessa
- English speaking trip attendant-archaeologist
- Walking tour at the district of Varosi
- Basic travel insurance (during transport)
- Entrance fee 2€/person for the small pools and 3€/person for the big pool and 2€/person the entrance fee to the Sesame Mill of Flavors
- Towel rental 1,50€/towel (if needed)
- Cost of lunch at the restaurant
- Our trip attendant-archaeologist shall wear clothing with the Ammon Express marking so that he/she will be recognisable easily
- You should be at the departure point 10΄ before the time indicated in the schedule. The bus cannot remain at designated stops, except for boarding
- Don’t forget your swimwear and a towel/bathrobe!
- Lockers with key are available at the area of the thermal springs so that you can store your personal belongings
- You can rent a towel from the area. The cost is 1,50€/towel
- There are numerous changing rooms with hairdresser for your personal care.
- Pregnant women are not allowed to enter the hot springs
- Be provided with the information folio of the Thermal Springs for all the advice regarding the sensitive social groups that are not allowed to make use of the Thermal Springs
- Children under 15 years old must be accompanied by an adult
- In summer season bear in mind to have sunglasses, sunscreen and a hat
- Please be consistent with the exact appointment times specified by the Ammon Express escort, so that the excursion will remain unforgettable to all participants
- Have a nice trip and an unforgettable experience!
- Don’t forget to share pictures and comments from your experience!