Nafplio – Epidaurus
A travel to the first capital of Greece and to the most beautiful ancient theater of the world
- Take photos from the picturesque Isthmus of Corinth connecting the Corinthian with the Saronic Gulf
- Visit the coastal city of Nafplio
- Visit the magnificent Castle of Palamidi on the top of the hill (optional)
- Enjoy a short boat ride to the impressive Castle of Bourtzi (optional)
- Walk around the numerous squares of the cosmopolitan city of Nafplio
- Learn about the history of Komboloi and the art of Tsipuro making (optional)
- Delve into the Ancient Epidaurus, known as the theater with the best acoustic balance worldwide
- Learn about Asclepeion, the healing center of the antiquity
STARTING POINT AND DEPARTURE TIME
- Smart-Eco-Pickup at Halandri metro station at 08:30a.m
Pick up and drop off is at Halandri Metro Station, very close to the city center at 08:30a.m in order to avoid the city traffic jam.
You will receive directions by e-mail with the location of Halandri metro station. With the “Smart-Eco-Pickup” service we depart directly from Athens and save time (up to 2 hours), which is disposed for the main attractions and sights during the day. Be a Smart-Traveler and join our green environment policy to reduce the city’s pollution and traffic jam. Act like a local by using the modern metro of Athens just 1min from the highway.
AVERAGE EXCURSION DURATION
- 10 hours
We depart to Nafplio with the bus of AMMON EXPRESS together with our friendly trip attendant-archaeologist, at 08:30a.m from the “Smart-Eco-Pickup” at Halandri metro station. The distance is 150km and lasts approximately 2 hours. During the way we have a short stop at the beautiful Isthmus of Corinth for coffee and photos.
We reach Nafplio where there is a big variety of alternative options to discover its “hidden treasures”. If we wish, there is plenty of time to “climb” the 999 steps up to the Castle of Palamidi (or just let the bus drive us to it) where we can admire the panoramic view of the area together with the endless beauty of the Argolic Gulf. Nafplio was the first capital of Greece (before Athens) and the architecture of the city has venetian, byzantine, ottoman and modern greek influences.
It connects perfectly the intense marks of the historical past with the modern life. The oldest district of the city is called Acronafplia with various traditional spots where the locals hang out. We can enrich our trip by visiting the Komboloi Museum and the famous Distillery of Tsipuro, Ouzo or Mastiha known as “ouzo experience” (optional visits).
Watch the colorful venetian houses that catch our eye with the characteristic “fuchsia bougainvilleas” hanging flashily from the balconies. In front of the port, the small island of the Castle of Bourtzi emerges from the Argolic Gulf and we can visit it enjoying a short boat ride (optional visit).
The charm and the colors of the past periods are bonded harmoniously with the picturesque narrow streets of the old district. We enjoy a gastronomical experience choosing one of the numerous traditional taverns and the travel of tastes begins.
Later on, we continue our trip to the epicenter of the ancient drama; the ancient theater that until nowadays is considered the one with the best acoustic balance worldwide, the Ancient Epidaurus. In the antiquity, Epidaurus was connected with the healing center of Asclepeion and is considered that there was the origin of the medical science.
The art of drama in Epidaurus was connected also with the healing of the human soul, the supreme beauty and moreover the salvation of one’s soul. Today in Epidaurus, modern artists organize newer versions of ancient tragedies as well as the Festival of Epidaurus takes place, known also as Epidavria.
Feel the aura of the ancient tragedians who through their interpretations leaded the audience to “catharsis”, the purification and purgation of emotions.
After having one hour to admire the ancient theater, we depart to Athens at around 16:00 where we are back after 2 hours at the Smart-Eco-Pickup of AMMON EXPRESS, the Halandri metro Station.
Join us and feel like being with a friend who is excited to show you around like a Greek!
THE PRICE OF THE EXCURSION INCLUDES
- Round-trip transportation to Nafplio and Epidaurus
- Transportation in a new luxury air-conditioned bus
- English-speaking escort archaeologist
- The entrance to the Bourtzi Castle is free of charge
- Free Wifi on the bus
- Basic travel insurance (during transport)
- Entrance fee to the archaeological site and museum of Mycenae (12€) and the archaeological site of Epidaurus (12€)
- Guided tour inside the sites
- Boat ride to the Castle of Mpourtzi (4,50€ round-trip, optional)
- Entrance fee to the Komboloi Museum (2€ optional)
- Entrance fee to the Distillery of Tsipuro (7€, 45΄ tour-guide, optional)
- Cost of lunch at the restaurant
- Personal expenses
- Our trip attendant-archaeologist shall have a sign of Ammon Express so that he/she will be recognisable easily once you validate your ticket before the exit of the metro station
- You should be at the departure point 10΄ before the time indicated in the schedule
- Please be consistent with the exact appointment times specified by the Ammon Express escort, so that the excursion will remain unforgettable to all participants
- Wear comfortable shoes to walk around Nafplio and the archaeological site of Epidaurus
- In summer season bear in mind to have sunglasses and a hat
- Free of charge entrance to ancient Epidaurus and the Castle of Palamidi is valid for youths up to 18 years old and University and Technological Educational Institutes students or students of equivalent schools of EU Members
- Reduced fee (-50%) admission is valid for European Union citizens aged over 65 and for students of Higher Education Institutes outside the European Union
- In winter season, 01/11 – 31/03, the general entrance fee to the Castle of Palamidi is 4€ and the archaeological site of Epidaurus is 6€
- Have a nice trip and a lot of fun!
- Share pictures and comments from your experience!