Mycenae – Nafplio – Epidaurus
A travel to the golden city of Agamemnon & to the most beautiful theater of all times
- Take photos from the picturesque Isthmus of Corinth connecting the Corinthian with the Saronic Gulf
- Explore the Kingdom of Agamemnon, the Cyclopean Walls and the archaeological park of Mycenae
- Admire the Golden Mask of Agamemnon, the leader of the Trojan War
- Visit the coastal city of Nafplio (short stop)
- Walk around the ancient Epidaurus, known as the theater with the best acoustic worldwide
STARTING POINT AND DEPARTURE TIME
- Smart-Eco-Meeting Poing at Halandri metro station at 08:00a.m.
Pick up and drop off is at Halandri Metro Station, very close to the city center in order to avoid the city traffic jam.
You will receive directions by e-mail with the location of Halandri metro station. With the “Smart-Eco-Meeting Point” service we depart directly from Athens and save time (up to 2 hours), which is disposed for the main attractions and sights during the day. Be a Smart-Traveler and join our green environment policy to reduce the city’s pollution and traffic jam. Act like a local by using the modern metro of Athens just 1min from the highway.
AVERAGE EXCURSION DURATION
- 10 hours
We depart to Mycenae with the bus of AMMON EXPRESS together with our friendly trip attendant-archaeologist from the “Smart-Eco-Meeting Point” at Halandri metro station. The distance is 130km and lasts approximately 1.5 hours. During the way we have a short stop for coffee and photos at the beautiful Isthmus of Corinth.
We reach the ancient city of Mycenae where the Cyclopean Walls “take our breath”, as until today no explanation can be found regarding their construction. Mycenae is considered the greatest and richest kingdom of the later Bronze Age (around 1350B.C). Even the legendary author Homer was inspired by Mycenae to compose his epic poem “Iliad”. We have about 1.5 hours to admire the archaeological site of the argolic plain with the unique findings such as the great Lionesses Gate, the Ancient Treasure of Atreus also known as King’s Agamemnon Tomb and the Tomb of Clytemnestra.
Later on, we visit the museum of Mycenae where we can find the famous Golden Mask of Agamemnon and various artifacts from the life, the activities and the burial customs of Mycenae. Exhibits from the royal Grave Circle A΄ and B΄ are exposed as well as various burial complexes and other historical copies.
After Mycenae, we reach the beautiful seaside city of Nafplio where we enjoy our greek traditional lunch. Naflpio used to be the first capital of Greece (before Athens) and its architecture has venetian, byzantine, ottoman and modern greek influences. It connects perfectly the intense marks of the historical past with the modern life. The oldest district of the city is called Acronafplia, with various traditional spots where the locals hang out and above it we can see the Castle of Palamidi, which rules from the top of the hill. In front of city’s port, we can see the Castle of Bourtzi in a small island emerging from the argolic gulf.
After the connection of the ancient greek history in Mycenae with the cultural beauty in Nafplio, we head to the epicenter of the ancient drama; the ancient theater that until nowadays is considered the one with the best acoustic balance worldwide, the Ancient Epidaurus. In the antiquity, Epidaurus was connected with the healing center of Asclepeion and is considered that there was the origin of the medical science.
The art of drama in Epidaurus was connected also with the healing of the human soul, the supreme beauty and moreover the salvation of one’s soul. Today in Epidaurus, modern artists organize newer versions of ancient tragedies as well as the Festival of Epidaurus takes place, known also as Epidavria. We have 1 hour to admire the ancient theater.
We depart to Athens at around 16:00 where we are back at about 17:30 at the Smart-Eco-Meeting Point of Ammon Express, the Halandri metro Station.
Join us and feel like being with a friend who is excited to show you around like a Greek!
THE PRICE OF THE EXCURSION INCLUDES
- Round-trip transportation to Mycenae, Nafplio and Ancient Epidaurus
- Transportation in a new luxury air-conditioned bus
- English-speaking escort archaeologist
- Free Wifi on the bus
- Basic travel insurance (during transport)
- Entrance fee to the archaeological site and museum of Mycenae (12€) and the archaeological site of Epidaurus (12€)
- Guided tour inside the sites
- Cost of lunch at Nafplio
- Personal expenses
- Our trip attendant-archaeologist shall have a sign of Ammon Express so that he/she will be recognisable easily once you validate your ticket before the exit of the metro station
- You should be at the departure point 10΄ before the time indicated in the schedule
- Please be consistent with the exact appointment times specified by the Ammon Express escort, so that the excursion will remain unforgettable to all participants
- Wear comfortable shoes to walk around the archaeological sites of Mycenae and Epidaurus
- In summer season bear in mind to have sunglasses and a hat
- Free of charge entrance to the archaeological site and museum is valid for youths up to 18 years old and University and Technological Educational Institutes students or students of equivalent schools of EU Members
- Reduced fee (-50%) admission is valid for European Union citizens aged over 65 and for students of Higher Education Institutes outside the European Union
- In winter season, 01/11 – 31/03, the general entrance fee to the archaeological site and museum is 6€ in Mycenae and 6€ in Epidaurus
- Have a nice trip and a lot of fun!
- Share pictures and comments from your experience!