Cape Sounio – Temple of Poseidon plus Sunset
Travel through the colors of an enchanting sunset against the view of the Aegean Sea
- Visit the Temple of Poseidon arising from the edge of Cape Sounio
- Watch the impressive panoramic view from the south-eastern peak of Sounio against the Saronic Gulf
- Let the breathtaking sunset travel you through the colorful canvas of the sky
- Feel the rhythm of Athens by night on the way back from the Athens Riviera
STARTING POINT AND DEPARTURE TIME
- Smart-Eco-Pickup at Halandri metro station at 17:30 until September 30th
– at 15:00 from October 1st until March 28th.
Pick up is at Halandri Metro Station, very close to the city center at 17:30 in order to avoid the city traffic jam. Drop off point is at Syntagma metro station, at Syntagma Square in the city center. You will receive directions by e-mail with the location of Halandri metro station. With the “Smart-Eco-Pickup” and drop-off service we depart directly from Athens and save time (up to 2 hours), which is disposed for the main attractions and sights during the day. Be a Smart-Traveler and join our green environment policy to reduce the city’s pollution and traffic jam. Act like a local by using the modern metro of Athens just 1min from the highway.
AVERAGE EXCURSION DURATION
- 5 hours
We depart to Cape Sounio with the bus of Ammon Express together with our friendly trip attendant-archaeologist, at 17:30 from the “Smart-Eco-Pickup” at Halandri metro station. The distance is 60km and lasts approximately 1 hour.
We reach the rocky Cape Sounio when the sun is about to immerse into the Aegean Sea. The best moment to enjoy the picturesque area of Sounio and capture its beauty is during sunset. Even Homer talks about Sounio in his epic poem Odyssey and great leaders as Menelaus of Sparta stopped at Sounio to provide honors to his fellow companions. “Holy Sounio, Cape of Athens”
We have about 1.5 hours to walk around the magnificent Temple of Poseidon, the God of the Sea and second most powerful among the Olympian Gods after Zeus. The temple is one of the most important in central Greece and second most important after the Temple of Acropolis. The ancient Greeks used to build their sacred areas in certain points measured in a way so that there was a form of triangulation among them (equilateral and isosceles triangles). This tendency was very common in ancient Greece and is known as triangulation. The Temple of Poseidon is the peak of an isosceles triangle with the Temple of Aphaeas in Aegina and the Temple of Hephaestus in Thissio.
Discover the signature on the marbles, of various famous authors who passed by the Cape of Sounio. Very characteristic is the one of the romance author Lord Byron (1810A.C) who couldn’t resist and left his marking on it. Let the romantic aspect of Sounio travel you while you watch the idyllic sunset fading into the clear blue Aegean Sea. It is one of the most remarkable sunsets in Greece.
After this unique experience, we depart to Athens discovering the Athens Riviera strolling along the waterfront cafes and the seafront promenades where all locals turn to in order to escape from city life. Immerse yourself in this de-light-ful evening experience watching some of the richest and most beautiful districts such as Varkiza, Vouliagmeni, Glyfada and Palaio Faliro.
We are back at the Smart-Eco-Pickup of Ammon Express, at Syntagma metro Station, at Syntagma Square.
Take a break from the fast-moving pace of the city!
Athens dressed-up in its night lights has a different glamour – Don’t miss it!
Join us and feel like being with a friend who is excited to show you around like a Greek!
THE PRICE OF THE EXCURSION INCLUDES
- Round-trip transportation to Cape Sounio and the Temple of Poseidon
- Transportation in a new luxury air-conditioned bus
- English-speaking escort archaeologist
- Free Wifi on the bus
- Basic travel insurance (during transport)
- Entrance fee to the archaeological site of Sounio (10€)
- Guided tour inside the sites
- Personal expenses
- Our trip attendant-archaeologist shall have a sign of Ammon Express so that he/she will be recognisable easily once you validate your ticket before the exit of the metro station
- You should be at the departure point 10΄ before the time indicated in the schedule
- Please be consistent with the exact appointment times specified by the Ammon Express escort, so that the excursion will remain unforgettable to all participants
- Wear comfortable shoes to walk around the archaeological site of the Temple of Poseidon
- In summer season bear in mind to have sunglasses and a hat
- Free of charge entrance is valid for youths up to 18 years old and University and Technological Educational Institutes students or students of equivalent schools of EU Members
- Reduced fee (-50%) admission is valid for European Union citizens aged over 65 and for students of Higher Education Institutes outside the European Union
- In winter season, 01/11 – 31/03, the general entrance fee is 5€
- Have a nice trip and a lot of fun!
- Share pictures and comments from your experience!