A tour to the museums of Athens
- We discover facts about the Ancient Greeks that you would never believe
- Visit the Museum of Ancient Greek Technology
- Learn about the first analog computer of all times
- Visit the Museum of Cycladic Art
- Admire the second largest figurine in the world
- Tasting of traditional Greek pies or coffee break at the cosmopolitan district of Kolonaki
STARTING POINT AND DEPARTURE TIME
- At 09:00a.m at Syntagma Metro Station, at the round fountain in the middle of Syntagma Square
AVERAGE EXCURSION DURATION
- 5 hours
We start our tour at Syntagma Square following a short and beautiful route in the city center of Athens. Meet our friendly escort-museologist at the heart of the square next to the round fountain and prepare ourselves for an unforgettable day! During our historical walk we distinguish the former Roya,l Palace where nowadays is based the Greek Parliament and then we continue to the district of Kolonaki. Our first stop is at the Museum of Ancient Greek Technology (or Kotsanas Museum).
The museum hosts a permanent exhibition of the “inventions of the Ancient Greeks” of Kostas Kotsanas and among them we have the chance to see the first ancient robot, the Robot-Maid of Filonas as well as other technological means-inventions that the Ancient Greeks used to have in their daily life. The museum displays around 100 exceptional inventions of the ancient greek world from 2.000 B.C until the end of the ancient greek period.
During the tour in the museum our friendly guide will explain us about the technique of time-recording, the mapping, the cryptography and the astronomy. We will get to know from close the inventions of the ancient Greeks and their unbelievable performance. The exhibits are followed by audiovisual material that will help us understand that technology in ancient Greece just before its end was quite similar to the onsets of modern technology. Exploring that period where the patent rights didn’t exist proves clearly that the West Technology world owes a lot more to the Greeks.
After our tour in the Museum of Ancient Greek Technology we have the chance to visit one of the most “tasteful” local spots with Greek organic products. Later on we enjoy an abundant brunch in a beautiful area in Kolonaki otherwise we can choose a food-tasting experience of delicious handmade pies and learn all the little secrets for the perfect recipe! Meanwhile don’t miss all the interesting stories, myths and legends that our new friend narrate.
The museum of Cycladic Art is our last stop. The museum hosts one of the most important (and complete) collections of Cycladic antiquities worldwide. Enjoy an interesting tour around the four floors together with our museologist-archaeologist and admire the exhibits dated from the 3rd century B.C.
We have the chance to observe this permanent collection of 3.000 exhibits of Cycladic, Ancient Greek and Ancient Cyprian Art; a proof that these civilizations prospered in Aegean and East Mediterranean since the 4th millennium BC until the 6th century a.D. Gods and heroes, myths, religious ritual, moments of the ordinary and private life even death are reflected with mastery in various kinds of materials. Discover all the priceless information about ancient greek societies and their organization. Find out how the various forms of arts and symbols were “born”.
After this fascinating trip to Ancient Greece we return back to the city center, at Syntagma Square.
Join us and feel like being with a friend who is excited to show you around like a Greek!
THE PRICE OF THE EXCURSION INCLUDES
- Guide museologist-archaeologist (Greek/English)
- Full tour-guide in the museums
- Entrance fee to the museums:
Museum of Ancient Technology: 5€/person
Museum of Cycladic Art: 7€/person
- Personal expenses (coffee, lunch etc.)
- Our escort-archaeologist will be waiting with a marking of Ammon Express at the round fountain in the middle of Syntagma Square
- You should be at the meeting point 10΄ before the time indicated in the schedule
- In summer season bear in mind to have a bottle of water, sunglasses and a hat
- Comfortable shoes are recommended for your convenience during the tour
- Wear the appropriate clothing according to the weather forecast
- Be ready to have a great time!
- Share pictures and comments from your experience!